Monday, July 2, 2007

Thinking

I can see that the wheels still turn in my mother's brain. When she looks at me and I look back into her eyes I see that she is still fighting to keep her brain function. She still crochets, though the patterns are very simple ones...like the basic granny square. She still works the sudoku puzzles even if they take her much of the day and never are completed. She still reads articles about Alzheimer's hoping that some breaking something will announce a cure or a medication that will give her recovery of what she has lost...or to hold onto what she has still.

AARP Bulletin, June edition, included an article entitled "Closing in on Alzheimer's." It speaks of a new medication MPC-7869, aka Flurizan. For some patients who participated/are participating in the clinical trials, the medication gave them back their memories and quality of life.

"I want to be in on the clinical trials," Mom said. "It sounds like what I've been looking for. I want to try it."

I called the doctor's office to ask about it. The nurse there called the local pharmacy. It isn't on the market yet, but if I take the article in the doctor's staff will try to find out more about it. So, I made a copy of the article and walked it to the office in high heat and humidity, a 15 minute walk from my house. The office was closed...early. I carried the article back home and it's still on top of the entertainment center because the demands are many and the time is limited. But I've added it to my to do list for today.

1 comment:

Ari said...

I just read a really interesting article on Alzheimer's from a scientist named Mike Merzenich who has been developing brain fitness programs. Here is the link http://merzenich.positscience.com/2007/06/19/why-not-fix-it-before-it-breaks/