Monday, July 9, 2007

Clinical trials

Mom and Dad were excited about something they read in the June issue of AARP Bulletin. The name of the article: Closing in on Alzheimer's. The drug Flurizan is the buzz word, a very promising buzz word, in this article. But a couple of days ago an Alzheimer's newsletter arrived in postal mail. I didn't open it until yesterday afternoon. And now I'm excited.

When Mom showed me that AARP article, I brought it home, called the doctor's office and asked about it. Mom had said, "I want to get in on the clinical trials." Gina checked with the local pharmacy but Flurizan is not on the market yet. She said to bring a copy of the article down to the office and they would look into it.

Then this newsletter came in yesterday. There are clinical trials open in our area. There will be a meeting in Canfield about these clinicals and the meds in them. I'm going to make the reservations for us to go. I think Mom and Dad both will be excited, too.

To find clinical trials in your area, call 800-439-4380. This government agency, Alzheimer's Disease Education and Referral Center, will help you find studies and and answer questions about them. Online you can find information at www.nia.nih.gov/Alzheimer's or www.nia.nih.gov/Alzheimers/Researchinformation/ClinicalTrials. The Alzheimer's Association is online at ww.alz.org.

No comments: