Monday, March 19, 2007

New week, new day, new blog

I had a blog about Alzheimer's. I think I deleted it. No, I don't have AD, but my mother does. My objective is not to violate her privacy, but to share with others the AD experience because it's different for everyone. Which is why I deleted the other blog...if I deleted it. I can't find it anywhere.

AD...I remember a sunny day in March several years ago. I remember Mom called me and said her doctor wanted to talk to me. He wanted to talk to me because he had diagnosed Mom with Alzheimer's. I remember being stunned. Oh, it didn't affect me too much at first. It's so easy to think, "She just misunderstood something he said. It can't happen to my mom." But later, every time I sat down at my computer to write, I would freeze, think about my mother's diagnosis and the tears would fall.

My siblings didn't believe it. They were in denial for a LONG time. One still insisted at Thanksgiving 2006, "I don't believe Mom has Alzheimer's." The other said, "Take a good look at her. You're talking about things she's saying to you. Is that normal for her?" "No." "That's the Alzheimer's."

It breaks my heart to see someone I grew up admiring, respecting...she was so sharp-minded. Nobody could pull anything on her. She was always at the top of her game. Now, even she will say, "I hate my brain. It doesn't work right. It's dying. I can see that it is."

Well, I don't know if I can share everything here. But I will share what I can without violating privacy of others. What I know for sure is that I don't want my mother to slip away from us. Hummingbird, don't fly away!

No comments: