Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Don't wanna be a tattle tale

I've found it difficult to write this blog. It feels like a violation of privacy. Alzheimer's is such a private disease, even as it exists in the public domain. Things have changed, there has been progression. I must vent somewhere, not just to reach others who struggle with the disease, either as the one who has the condition or as a caregiver, but for myself.

How did we arrive at this moment in time?

Many times, when I walked through the door, Mom sat at her end of the sofa with her crochet hook in hand and Dad sat in his recliner grumbling because all she did was sit there and crochet. He would look up, see me coming into the house, and an expression of relief crossed his face as if he were thinking, "The cavalry has arrived!" (Is that what my brothers see on my face when they walk through the door?) Dad and I always ended up at the kitchen table, talking over tea. He always made sure there were teabags for me because I'm not a coffee-drinker. At some point he began to drink tea, too.

I think he tried to manipulate me some. So I determined early on to be an encourager to him, but honest with him. The crocheting complaint: "Do you want her brain to die? The crocheting and the Game Boy and the newspaper puzzles are what keep her brain alive. Do you WANT her brain to die? Then leave her alone. Let her crochet! Let her play her games!" I have noted the progression of the AD by the level of difficulty of the patterns she uses. At least she can still hold a crochet hook and make those blocks for a bedcover even if she can't figure out how to join them together. I will do that. We will call it one of our partnership projects. We've had a lot of those over the years before she needed any help from anyone.

"I don't think I can do this," he often said, though the rest of the family believed it was his penance (he was Catholic, the rest of us are not)for all of the times that he let her down.

"She stood beside you through a lot, Dad. When it would have been in her best interests to go, she stayed. You owe it to her to stand by her now. It's not like she chose to have Alzheimer's."

He would grumble. I would listen. And I would ask questions to get him started talking about local history, his family, funny things from his childhood. I didn't ask nearly enough questions or learn nearly enough about his family. We didn't get to spend that much time with those discussions. But for a brief time the stress was lifted and he relaxed, and was perhaps re-energized to go at it all again. At least he was at home.

We spoke often about what would happen to Mom when he wasn't here to take care of her any more. There was no way she could live alone. I kept telling him he had to stay, he had to keep living because I wasn't ready to let go. And there were moments when I told myself to make the most of my freedom because it was just a matter of time when it would be gone.

That sounds like a terrible thing to say. Dad didn't think I understood what it was like, what he was living. He didn't realize that he was getting a taste of what Mom and legions of women through the ages had lived. I know what it's like to be limited where you can go and what you can do when you have children, a family to take care of. I knew I would be passed the caregiver torch, so I didn't fight it. I embraced it, even as I was thinking, "I'm not getting any younger. In 15 or 20 years, will I be my mother?" There isn't much consolation in the 50s being the new 40s. I am terrified of being the next generation Alzheimer's patient.

Dad passed away in mid-March. It is nearly June. I have stayed here most of the time since Dad's last hospital admission, sleeping on the sofa. I sleep on the sofa at Mom's house for a couple of reasons: 1.) To sleep in the little bedroom would mean I have moved into my mother's house. I have my own home, a husband, a yellow lab, a tabby cat, flowers to plant, walls to paper, woodwork to paint. I must remember all the reasons I have for being there. That's where my permanent life is. I sleep on the sofa at Mom's house because 2.) If Mom begins to wander--which she did a little when Dad died--I will hear her before she can wander far. This is my temporary life.

My daughters have said to me that their dad could/should treat me better, that he doesn't appreciate what he has, what he could lose if he doesn't take care of me. So this time of temporary life in my mother's house is also a time of reflection about the things that are most important in a life, to a life.

(c)2009 Cathy Thomas Brownfield

2 comments:

JanetElaineSmith said...

Very insightful and caring post, Cathy. Thanks for your insights into life--on the other side of things. And just for a bit of comfort to you, they say that if you are worried that you might have/get Alzheimer's Disease, you don't have it and probably won't get it. If you have a tendency towards the malady, you don't know it and don't care. Hope that helps. (Learned that while researching AD for Old Habits Die Hard. See how smart writing can make us? LOL!)
Janet Elaine Smith

The Journey said...

. Alzheimer's is a thief --- My granddad had it. I'll have to share with you the story I wrote. I think women are better equiped to handle things, after all look at all the boloney we put up with. Tell your daughters love covers a multitude of sins- life would be better if we all learn that. I don't mean people should take abuse- odd quirts - well we all have them. I think it's good that you write. I worry about it too, when I see the ladies I work with a stamp class in various stages but I can honestly say they are sweethearts and I enjoy them. Lynda in IN